I’ve already blogged about Pascal Tepper Bakery in Dubai Media City before [click here to read my previous post], so when I was asked if I’d like to meet the man behind the brand, I said yes.
I already knew Chef Tepper was the recipient of the Meilleur Ouvrier de France [which the ever-so-helpful Wikipedia has an entry on, right here], so the thought of quizzing him on all things French and bakery was pretty tempting.
Things I learned during this chat:
- 70% of Pascal Tepper Bakery’s clients are female.
- Chef Tepper was given his medal by then-President Jacques Chirac (which he sportingly wore for us when we asked, for the photographs).
- Out of 700,000 people working in the bakery business, only 55 have the Meilleur Ouvrier de France award.
- One of the most popular items in the Dubai franchise outlet is the very French dish, Croque Monsieur.
- Chef Tepper is from Lille, France.
- Some of his favourite items to make include the Opera, macarons, croissant, apple tarts and baguettes.
He was extremely patient with our questions, and when Yasmin and Sidiqa asked him for tips on making macarons, he launched into a detailed explanation on what he does, and answered whatever questions they had. How’s that for friendly?
And kudos to the staff: I’ve been here so many times, I ordered a Colibri off the menu without realizing the new menu didn’t have my favourite drink anymore! But they brought me a Colibri anyway:
After we were done grilling him, he handed each of us his card, and asked for ours…And waited patiently while we dug ours out from the recesses of our bags.
After that, we decided to be cheeky and ask if we could have a quick kitchen tour.
Net hairbuns later…
…we were in!
I have no idea. I’m clearly more on the eating side of things than the cooking!
Inside the kitchen
Yasmin, excited near the oven
Some fresh croissants:
A bread basket (which we completely stuffed ourselves with; their bread is really good):
A beef steak sandwich, a few tartines, french onion soup, a poulet curry tartine and a classique croque monsieur (mine):
Picking the desserts
…the best of the night: the white chocolate cheesecake. I have a standard of cheesecake I hold all cheesecakes to, and this one was pretty darn good. Very, very impressed.
Other random pics from the night: